LEADER: For. Alberto V. Nicolas
The FPRDI has long been supporting the technology needs of the forest-based micro, small and medium scale enterprises (MSMEs) through its Technical Services Division (TSD).
This is because the Institute acknowledges the important roles of MSMEs in alleviating poverty in the forest-based communities. The MSMEs provide livelihood opportunities to almost 20 million upland residents.
The Technical Services Division (TSD) manages the techno-transfer activities of FPRDI. It promotes and transfers its technologies ready for commercialization, in partnership with the concerned Technology Maker, the FPRDI Management and DOST Regional Office. The techno-transfer activities of FPRDI are geared to improve the productivity, efficiency and enhance the competitiveness of its MSME customers in both local and international markets.
Beginning 2016, the TSD will implement FPRDI’s techno-transfer program in compliance with the ‘DOST Administrative Order No. 9 on Techno-transfer Protocol of DOST-RDIs’ which took effect starting December 15, 2015. As such, it re-aligned its structure in order to improve the techno-transfer functions of the Institute, as follows:
- Technology promotion and information assistance services;
- Technology business development;
- Training and manpower development services; and
- Communication materials production and library services.
The Technology Promotion and Information Assistance section shall spearhead the promotion of the FPRDI’s technologies/IPs (intellectual properties) ready for commercialization. The Technology Business Development section is designated as FPRDI’s Technology Licensing Office who shall manage the commercialization of technologies and IP assets of the Institute. The Training and Manpower Development Services section shall transfer FPRDI’s process technologies through technical training, seminars and workshops. The Communication Materials Production and Library Services section shall transfer FPRDI’s technologies and R & D results through preparation of technical publication materials.
The TTP shall provide appropriate FPRDI technologies and technical support for the socio-economic and environmental benefits of the forest-based industries and communities.
General: The TTP shall identify, protect, manage and commercialize technologies and intellectual property rights (IPRs) generated by the institute and shall undertake techno-transfer activities based on RA No. 10055, otherwise known as Philippine Techno-transfer Act of 2009 and DOST Administrative Orders No. 04 and 09 titled “ DOST IP Policy and Techno-transfer Protocol of DOST-RDIs”, respectively.
- Promote technologies and IPRs ready for commercialization;
- Assist in the prior art search and other patent information services;
- Provide assistance in IP protection;
- Undertake IP and IPR licensing, transfer or commercialization negotiations;
- Provide IP valuation services to researchers and FPRDI management;
- Maintain database of IPs and IPRs to ensure traceability; and
- Manage IPs and IPRs and their revenues.