- Measure the thickness and moisture content of Type I (exterior/marine) and Type II (interior/ordinary) plywood; evaluate bond quality thru wet shear test and percent wood failure for Type I plywood and 3-cycle delamination for Type II plywood.
- Performed using several equipment such as the digital micrometer for thickness; laboratory oven and digital weighing balance for moisture content; boiling vat, laboratory oven, plywood shear testing machine, and magnifying lens for the bond test of Type I plywood; three-cycle delamination oven and dipping vat for the bond test of Type II plywood.
- Based on PNS 196:2000 as required by the Bureau of Product Standards (BPS) as per Philippine National Standards (PNS).
- FPRDI’s Plywood Testing Laboratory has been accredited according to PNS ISO/IEC 17025:2005 or the General Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories.
Adhesives, Sealants and Coatings
- Analyze the properties of adhesives such as viscosity, total solids, pH, flammability and volatile matter.
- Characterize the main components of adhesives using Fourier Transform Infra-red (FTIR).
- Analyze thermal properties of adhesives using Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA).
- Also determine the formaldehyde emission of wood and related products. Exporters of wood furniture and furnishings must abide by the importing countries’ strict policy regarding the F-emission limits on wood and similar products.