Wood and Non-wood Materials
Wood and Wood Products Tests
- Identifiy the physical and chemical properties of wood and other natural products to determine their end-uses; the chemical compositions of wood are grouped into major (lignin, carbohydrates) and minor (extraneous materials, inorganics) components.
- Characterize the chemical nature of natural products using Fourier Transform Infra-red (FTIR) spectrophotometer.
- Based on protocols set by the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI), American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), and other standards as required by clients.
- Determine the thermal properties of natural products using Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA).
Essential Oils Tests
- Analyze some physico-chemical properties of essential oils to identify their end-uses or applications, including Fourier Transform Infra-red (FTIR) spectral properties.
- Extract the essential oils using steam distillation or with a hydrodistill equipment called Clevenger Apparatus.
- Determine the essential oils’ percentage yield of volatile oils